Selection will be based on three primary criteria:
- Overall career achievement
- Positive impact, both professional and philanthropic, on the Chicago community
- Demonstrated interest in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
A nomination form is required. Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination. Nominations will be remain active for five years.
- hold an earned degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- maintain a residence in Chicago or one of its suburbs at the time of nomination
Those not eligible:
- Previous recipients
- Current members of the UI Board of Trustees; the UI Alumni Association Board of Directors; the Awards Committee; and relatives, employers or employees thereof
- Current faculty and staff of the University or the UI Alumni Association
- Persons currently holding or running for elected state or federal public office in Illinois
- The award may not be conferred in absentia; however, it may be granted posthumously.
A selection committee composed of UI Alumni Association staff and Chicago Illini Club board members will select the recipients. The awards will be presented at the Chicago Illini of the Year Awards Dinner in Chicago. The selection committee reserves the right to consider each nominee for other UI Alumni Association recognition programs when appropriate.
Deadline for nominations is Oct. 31. The Awards Committee is composed of alumni and selects the recipients for each U of I campus. Awards are presented by the UI Alumni Association at Commencement or another signature campus event. Should the committee determine that the nominee would be more appropriately honored by means of a different award, it reserves the right to consider each nominee for other, more suitable recognition.